The NSCDC Commandant, Mr. Shuaibu Jibrin, said on Thursday, October 27th, that the racket had been collecting money from applicants in the guise of offering them employment into the organisation.
Jibrin, however, assured that its searchlights had already been beamed on the perpetrators while explaining that all recruitment exercises by the organisation are properly advertised through the mass media.
"Currently, the NSCDC is not carrying out any recruitment, the NSCDC recruits based on certain criteria and merit which is always advertised through the mass media."
He said applicants had never been charged during NSCDC’s recruitment exercises, and assured that those behind the syndicate would soon be apprehended and brought to justice. He also expressed regrets about the frequent vandalism of public utilities, especially pipelines and cables by unpatriotic citizens.
The commandant said the command had stepped up its surveillance activities over such public utilities to prevent the operations of the vandals. He disclosed that three vandals had already been apprehended and were facing trial in the state.
He, however, advised authorities of the electricity company covering the state to ensure proper identification of its staff working on transformers and handling underground cables to avoid arrest by his men.